Getting a haircut could often be a relatively personal issue to many people.
Here are a few things you need to take into consideration here in China.
1. Be Prepared-Due to the population and the number of heads they need to go through each and every day, the hair stylists in China are super-duper confident in their ability. Many of them think and believe they know the perfect hairdo for you, so please bring a picture of a precise image of the style you are looking for.
2. Stay awake- You will be amazed how quickly your hair vanish from your head, a haircut could be completed within 5-10min when handled by an “extremely confident hairstylist”. So, make sure to pay full attention during your haircut, as a 5 second shut eye could mean the difference between whether you would want to step out your home for the upcoming weeks.
3. Choose the right hair stylist- A lot of this comes with how picky you are with your hair, and the environment of the place you choose to get it done. You could get it done for as little as 20RMB in an alley, or up to 200RMB at a renowned chain store by their head hair dresser. I personally choose to get it done at a chain store by a regular hair stylist for about 70RMB. There are skilled hair stylists in cheap places but the risks are yours to take.
4. Be precise with the length you want- In China you need to be clear as to exactly how much you want them to cut. You can’t simply say short (duan de) and expect them to know the exact length you are looking for, because to many hair stylists “short” means shaved bald.
5. Tip- This is usually 100% unnecessary and not expected, but they would definitely take it if offered to them.
A few Chinese vocabs for you to learn when getting your hair cut.
Long – Chang de
Short – Duan de
Cut – Jian
Permed – Tang
Colored/dye – Ran fa
Styled -Zao xing
Washed – Xi
The photos above were taken at a high-end shop called “Hair style art” offered at a very affordable rate near Renmin University.
(the prices listed were temporary and might no longer be listed, please call for current pricing)
89RMB – Cut by the store owner
68RMB – Manager hair stylist
45RMB – Regular
Phone number: 51727589
Address: Zhongguancun South Street 2, Shumayinzuo building 1012